Saturday, December 15, 2007

Long Run and Belated Sunmart Report

I survived Sunmart last Saturday but barely. This was definitely not my finest hour but rather 6 very slow hours. I never run well in the heat so I was not surprised by this experience. Mainly I wanted to get in the miles but I was rather disappointed in how much I had to walk. I was also rather bothered that I encountered an individual that felt compelled to tell me they followed my running and that this was a very bad performance for me. Just what I needed to hear at mile 22+. I also fell for the first time ever on a run. This really pissed me off but I guess it had to happen sometime. Despite this crappy long run/walk I will continue down the road to Houston and try not to look back.

Now to other brighter topics like my long run today. The weather was not completely ideal but I actually enjoyed this run. We started out on our journey toward 20+ miles and it was a little on the warm side for me. I started to think the predicted cold front had again evaded us. I felt good the entire time and when the rain started it brought a welcome cool down for me. Sometimes I really like the rain and today it just added to an already good run. I thought it was a good experience because after all we may have to brave the same conditions in the marathon. After mile 13 the official run was cancelled but five of us kept going and ventured to the convention center and back to finish the route. We ended with around 20 miles for the day. We figured we were already out there and soaked so we wanted to finish. Most likely I will do one more run of 24 miles before the marathon just to be psychologically ready. I had a great time just splashing through puddles and I am glad there was good company along the way. Some very nice ladies from Team In Training were out there supporting their group and graciously offered us some of their water and Gatorade. I really appreciated that.

2 comments:

Junie B said...

Hi Priscella! Thanks for reading my blog. And I suspect sooner rather than later I will be back at it.

Its usually what happens. I am not sure why, but it does. The emails I get from folks usually jar me back into blogging. I will now start reading yours! Always nice to find fellow Houstonian runners!!

Pony and Petey said...

Hey chicky! Glad to read your comment on Junebug's blog and be able to add you to my favorites = )

I was at Sunmart too!! It was my first one and I can't wait to do it again!

I fell THREE times and am surprised that I didn't fall even more than that. I have balance problems = )

And I actually loved the weather. But I wasn't running near as fast as you...finished just under 7 hours. The most fun-filled 7 hours that I've had in a long time!

Pony