Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Ouch!

I think I found one of my new favorite workouts. The Y has a circuit class on MWF nights so I was curious and tried it out today. I thought it would be a good way to get the weight training I was missing and add some different types of cardio. I ran with the Clear Lake group this morning for 7 miles as a recovery from yesterdays fast 3 miles. This was a fun run with friends and some good girl talk.

OK now about the class. When I got there I was informed that it was hard cardio night. This of course is relative and I thought it would probably be much easier than a long run with Bayou City or Kenyan Way. Wow I was way wrong! The guy who led the class was rather hard core and really didn't like it when I was right behind him during sprints. I figured I should go pretty hard since I haven't put in many miles lately. He kept looking over his shoulder which made me want to pass him even more. Then he asked if I was actually trying to pass him in a shocked way. I just said yes. What is the deal with guys and not being able to handle it when a girl is anywhere near them during a hard workout? I have actually had guys zig zag in races to keep me from passing. Anyway we did some lunges in between sprints and then went inside to do more cardio and weights. The next set consisted of 30 minutes in which we cycled through push ups, lunges with a weighted bar and 3 minutes of cardio (I chose treadmill). During one of the sets I was on the treadmill talking and the instructor came by and said there should be no talking and told me to increase the speed ( I was at 7.6) and add incline. The others in the class were surprised and said he had never done that before. Great. Maybe this was payback for the sprint episode. After this set we finished with more leg weights and stomach work on the mat. I was so tired I drove home in a fog. I can't really remember the last time I was so tired. I will definitely be back. Man I hope that guy dosen't read running blogs.

4 comments:

Junie B said...

OK, just so you know...thats called "chicking" when you pass a guy. I love it, and I actually "chicked" 2 guys at the finish of Bayou City Classic.

And I bet he doesnt even know how to read. You're golden. ;o)

Crosstrain said...

Lol, that is funny. I must confess to getting pissed off at being passed by some women in the last two miles of the 30k two years ago. I was running well and had not been passed for about 5 miles when two women glided by me chatting like they were walking in the mall. Ugh. Then another woman passed me in the last mile, I was so mad I found another gear. Since that time, I don't pay attention the gender of those I pass or pass me.

Steve Bezner said...

Funny post.

My kids make fun of me because I run slower than girls. They think it's really, really funny. (they also don't understand why I've never won just once) My daughter tells me I run like a girl and never fails to mention how many girls beat me at 5k races. I always get beat by Sabre Harvey who is a 58 year old female. I can take it including the kiddo's remarks.

Gaslight ;-) said...

Hey chickie! No Prissy at Law week today, where ya been?