Sunday, March 23, 2008

Is Less Really More?

I ran the Resurrection 5K yesterday for my third run of the week. Lately I am running more in races than training runs. Actually I am a bit curious as to how this could effect my fitness. Can you get faster on 3 days of running per week? The days I do run are a hard effort so really I am putting the work in and at the same time getting more rest between. A major drawback would be the cost of races every week but aside from that if it works I'm all for it. I remember an article I came across in Inside Texas Running some time back that talked about some really fast masters runners like Ino Cantu following a similar program with much success. This is appealing for those of us with busy schedules that don't like predawn running. So we will see how it goes.

I was talking with some other running bloggers at the race yesterday and they mentioned the 8K next week. Originally I was not to enthusiastic about this race but I may just try to fit it in as my hard workout for this next weekend. The distance is interesting and I would like to see how close I can stick to 5K pace for this. My time for Saturday was rather disappointing but afterwards I found out the course was long so that made me feel a little better. So in the spirit of my new plan of the moment I have not run today but will try to get in a least one workout before Saturday. I like to keep things interesting. I have been told I could improve a great deal if I had more patience and would stick to a plan. That is just not how I work and I think that is why I am still running after 5 years. Now I must get to all the work that has piled up on my desk....

8 comments:

Junie B said...

Well I have indeed decided not to do the 8K and will be running long with KW instead.

I hope to see you at Bellaire though!!

Sam said...

Great to get to chat with you after the race. Along with June, I've opted out of racing next weekend for the same reason... I need a long run rather than a race.

If you do run it, I'll be looking forward to seeing how it goes on that hard work and extra rest. :)

AtlantaMom said...

My 5k was extremely disappointing - I dare say that your time was stellar in comparison.

It does, however, make me feel a tad bit better that your saturday 5k was as miserable for you as mine was for me.

The winner of my race finished in sub 17! I believe it was 16:37, which is a completely ridiculous time and something I can't even aspire to.

WalkSports.com said...

Saw you at the Resurrection Run, but didn't know who you were. (Now I do.)

I've got a pretty good list of most of the running bloggers in the greater Houston area at the blog site of our recent TIR team's experience -- http://battlingbloggers.blogspot.com/.

This list includes those who aren't HARRA members, which many - like yours - are listed off of the HARRA web site.

Priscilla said...

I agree Atlanta sub 17 is a bit much. The winner of the Resurrection run was 19 something so at least I feel like that is a reasonable goal for mortals like us.

Sam said...

Yeah, cause if you were to ever run sub-17, then the next time you were back OVER 17, we'd all be coming up to you saying "What happened?" :)

(you know, you brought that one on yourself :P)

Junie B said...

LMAO! Good one Sam!

Priscilla said...

I will never have to worry about that because the next time I find myself with a sub 17 time I will soon wake from that dream! :)