Sunday, February 24, 2008

5K "4" Fireworks Update

Today we held the first year of our 5K benefiting the fireworks over Clear Lake for the Chamber of Commerce here. I was asked to be race director mainly because I was the only runner available and I opened my mouth about creating a race. This was formerly a walk (Crawfish Crawl) attached to the Crawfish Festival which takes place at Clear Lake park in April. This year we separated the run/walk and made it a "grown up" race with all the trimmings such as timing, awards and good food. On The Run was nice enough to step up and donate their services for timing and course equipment. We had a closed course entirely run on the UHCL campus and I think people really enjoyed this, lots of trees and wildlife. So far the feedback has been great and we plan to build even more and be back next year. We will keep the same course and some of the other unique touches such as the Sunday time and the award for the biggest group of runners. I believe we will change the 10 year age groups to 5 year so we can give out more awards (though we didn't have three winners in some groups). The YMCA was another wonderful sponsor that offered a year family membership as a door prize. We were very fortunate to have so many generous organizations involved and plenty of great participants. Now I can take a breath and get some sleep....of course there was no running for me today. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

3 comments:

Sam said...

Hey there. Sounds like a great race today... too bad I was out of town, or I'd have definitely been out there for it. I could have used another 5k before the next two weekends of 10ks.

Junie B said...

Priscella you should have come up and said hello at the movie last Thursday!

Is this race you are talking about in April right?? It wasnt yesterday? I think Sam got it wrong :P, but then again, I might have been wrong too... :O)

Priscilla said...

The race was yesterday but hopefully I will see you guys there the next time around!