Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Visitor That Ike Brought

We have been mulling over getting a dog for about a year. That is what we do with most decisions go back and forth and than something happens to make the decision for us. So a little more than a week ago we went outside to find a black lab in our yard. She was limping and hungry. Our neighbor gave us some food for her and she has been with us ever since. We went around the neighborhood asking if she belonged to anyone and I also called the local animal shelters, hospitals and the SPCA. The vet closest to us scanned her to see if she had a chip to identify her. No luck so we have welcomed her and tried to make her comfortable with us. I have to say she is the best dog and wonderful with the kids. She is very old but still has a lot of energy. I just feel bad for the people that lost her (if she was lost and not dropped off). I know many have lost all they had and maybe they just couldn't keep her but didn't want her to be put to sleep at a shelter. She has stopped limping and seems to have new life in her the past several days. I run with her in the morning and then do my own run later at the gym. I enjoy the leisurely runs with her in the morning. She is much more Mike's pace and he ran with her today while the kids were at soccer. I think it went well. I am going take her back to our local vet next week to get an exam and shots. We also need to get her a dog house because we have two cats that are rather old and have never lived with or been around dogs in their lives so she will have to stay outside. I am so glad tomorrow is Friday.

No comments: