Monday, January 14, 2008

Marathon Blues

Another Houston Marathon has come and gone. Congratulations to all the runners! I have mixed feelings about this race. I trained harder for this race mileage wise and sacrificed speed work. I now see this is something that needs to be changed. I was on track until 15-16 miles in and then everyone but the kitchen sink started to pass me. I think even the sink was gaining at the end. Either way I finished and enjoyed seeing everyone out there. The crowd was tremendous. This was the best part at the end and they really kept me going when I wanted to throw in the towel and just walk off the course. After this marathon I said no more. I actually have at least one more because I signed up for Surfside last week. I think it will be a fun low key run. When Surfside is done I think the focus will be on shorter races and getting some speed back in my legs. I may do Houston half next year and then come back to the marathon the next year fresher and hopefully faster. I hope everyone has a great day and isn't in too much pain!

5 comments:

Pony and Petey said...

We sure had fun out there yesterday = ) It didn't start out fun for me but it sure ended fun!

Have you ever run Seabrook Lucky Trails? I'm curious if that's a "friendly-surface" marathon...

I did Sunmart last month and LOVED it! I'm thinking maybe my legs are trying to tell me to stay off the roads for those longer runs and races...

Priscilla said...

Actually Lucky Trails is very friendly to your legs. The only drawback is the course is four loops of the Seabrook Trails. The first three loops are OK but that last one is tough to start. I may do the Half there.

Pony and Petey said...

Thanks for the info! I really appreciate that.

I did a 24 hour race on a 400 meter track so I think 26.2 miles with 4 loops would be ok = )

BUT...I'd better go check out the Seabrook Trails before I sign up!

AtlantaMom said...

You are much tougher than I - I have never run a marathon. Congratulations on all that goes into that; you should feel very proud. Surely you know how few people can make it through a single marathon....? I hope to one day be able to stumble through one myself. Kudos.

Tri-training said...

Prisilla I got photos of you doing the Houston Marathon.-Theo