Friday, January 18, 2008

Back to the Treadmill

I am back to running again after three days of rest. I ran 4 miles yesterday and another 4 today both on the treadmill at home. I really want to incorporate more treadmill running into my schedule. There are several good things about the treadmill such as knowing exactly how fast you are going at any given time. On the roads I think I have a tendency to overestimate how fast I am going but the treadmill forces me to be honest with myself. I never have a false sense of fitness this way. Also like many this time of year I have the heater running in my house most of the day. When I am working out it does get hot but I feel like it is better to train in the heat whenever possible. So this along with a few outdoor runs will be my training plan for the next few months. We will see how it goes, it seemed to work a few years ago when I was training to qualify for Boston. Since that time I feel I have reached a plateau that I need to break free of. My longer runs outside are going to be at a faster pace to get me used to running at or close to marathon pace. I know many programs tell you to run slower for long runs but for me anytime I have done this it results in a slower marathon time. I just have to do what works for me so hopefully 2008 will be a fun year to race!

1 comment:

Toonice2018 said...

Hey, Priscilla, I've been reading up on that too. I think the long runs are supposed to be run prety hard, but not race pace. It depends on how you feel. I think the point is to run as hard as you can, but not wear yourself out. The easy days are supposed to be easier than we usually run. The workouts (hills, track workout, long run) run as hard as you can (depending how you feel that day), w/o killing yourself. Easy days jog. I read KEnyans and japanese marathon team run easy days at an 8 minute pace. For what it's worth, I run with you at Kenyan Way.