Friday, September 26, 2008

More About Ike

This storm has touched us all in some way. I definitely have guilt over having no damage after the storm. So strange how we were left alone and others in our neighborhood can't even live in their houses anymore. So strange. I got the call to help a friend last night and to see the devastation they suffered was horrific. After soccer practice me and the kids headed over to Seabrook near Meador park and the trails. Our friend lives just off Meyer street and you can barely get down the street for all the debris there. The house looks like it is new construction from the inside. Everything has been gutted and removed. Today they are finishing the insulation. I went over last night to move some fish from their old tank to a new home. The wooden base of the old tank had to be thrown out. We emptied the tank and moved everything to the curb. I wanted to help with more and said I would be back to help paint the walls when they are ready and clean all of their belongings that were salvageable. So much more to be done and I just feel so bad about the situation. I suppose all you can do is help and be there...

So many need help. I think the running community should unite in some type of race or fundraising effort like the Hurricane Relief 5K or Take a Hike Ike 5K or something. Just a thought.

1 comment:

elf said...

Take a Hike, Ike. I like it.

Nice running with you this morning!