Thursday, September 25, 2008

A Seven Mile Morning and Class

I ran with the group in Clear Lake yesterday morning for seven miles and came home exhausted. I think I am still tired from Sunday's long run. I didn't give an inch on my workouts Monday and Tuesday which probably also adds to my lack of energy yesterday. I felt better in the afternoon and decided to head to class at the Y. I really started out not liking the trainer that leads the class when I started a few months ago. I now think he has grown on me and this class has made me much stronger. I have faithfully followed my weekday ritual of three miles fast on the treadmill followed by the cardio challenge class. I love this class so much because it is really tough. We do running drills, hills and various weight and cardio combos. Some of my fellow runners have seen this class in action and were a little afraid. I figure if I can get through I come out on the other side stronger and a better runner. Theo our leader is tough and a little arrogant at times but he really just wants us to get stronger and reach our goals. He definitely took some getting used to. I had to come to class for a few months before he would even call me by name. I found out later this is what he does to all newbies. You have to earn his respect and show that you will keep coming back and work hard. Despite his attitude toward me at first I knew I had to keep showing up because after one class I felt like I worked harder than running a marathon. I rationalized if I could build up my tolerance a fast marathon would be in my future. Let's hope this works!

No comments: