Monday, December 29, 2008

The Marathon & Me

I have mixed feelings on this subject. The marathon has played a big part in my life for the last five years. The marathon is what lured me to running in 2003. Before I could run 2 miles in a row I wanted to run Boston. I knew I would get there I just had to figure out how far I had to run. We have had our ups and downs but I have learned so much these last few years about running and living life. I have mixed feelings because I have decided that the marathon and I should part ways for awhile. We definitely need to take a long overdue break. I am ready to answer the call of shorter races and enjoy sleeping in and seeing my kids on weekend mornings while we enjoy a relaxed breakfast at home. This Houston marathon will be my last for some time though I don't know how long. I really feel the shorter distances will bring me much more enjoyment and greater accomplishments. I have always felt I was more of a middle distance runner. Marathon training has taught me a great deal about what I can accomplish and I have met some wonderful people that are now great friends. I have learned how to push through the physical and mental limits placed on me by myself and others. I am much stronger than I ever thought. I think I am more patient with others and more understanding when they attempt to bring me down. I have learned that is all about them and not me. I am so thankful for what I have been given and each day that I can run.

3 comments:

Gaslight ;-) said...

And you're doing just great!

Let me know which year you want to run Boston; we'll train our patooties off!

Bert said...

Priscilla, you are not alone. I think many of us (marathon runners) are in the same boat, a bit conflicted about the role of running and especially long distance running, in our lives. Ditto here; if I can stay healthy and run Boston this year (it would be my first) my marathon career will likely be short lived.

Of course if you qualify for Boston in January, you might have to add at least 1 more marathon in April!

Chip Tyme said...

Ahhh, Pricilla....the musings of a marathon runner near the end of hard training.

Methinks after your brain blocks out the pain of training and pain during the marathon, you'll be back leading the pack on Sunday mornings.

btw, the flights to Boston are filling up fast ;)

But...breakfast with the kiddos brings back great memories. Gosh I miss pancake syrup on the kitchen floor!