Friday, August 29, 2008

When to Run

Some are morning runners and some like to run later in the day. Having run at both times I can now say I am an afternoon runner all the way. I like to run in the afternoon because:

  1. I am more awake and am not so afraid I will fall off the treadmill and make a fool of myself.
  2. I can run faster because I have been awake for hours and am warmed up.
  3. I don't feel exhausted all day because I woke up at 4:30 am.
  4. I can get all the thoughts from work out of my head and vent my frustration in a positive way by leaving it all at the gym.
  5. When running outside early I am always afraid I will trip on the sidewalk because it is so dark.
  6. I worry about the creeps lurking around at 5 AM maybe waiting for runners. It is just not safe for females to run by themselves in the dark, even in my comfy suburb.
Just to name a few. Of course when racing my only option is morning 99% of the time. This is OK every once in awhile. I am just really crabby when I don't get my sleep. So that's all I have to say about that!

3 comments:

Bert said...

I agree with practically all your reasons why it is preferable to run in the afternoon. The mornings are also more humid; I will take the (drier) heat of the late afternoon every time over that yucky sticky early morning soup we have to run in, here in Houston.

Pony and Petey said...

Probably the biggest reason I like to run later morning/afternoon/early evening is one you didn't mention!

I'm well-fueled and hydrated and run ever so much better, faster, longer, comfortabler = )

SOOOO nice to know that I'm not all alone in my anti-early morning running!

Junie B said...

Priscilla:

I dont have an issue driving south to work. I have been targeting areas 25-30 miles anyway!!

Thank you!

you can email me at junevidrine@msn.com